Career options after completing a Bachelor's degree in Dentistry-
1) WORKS AS A GENERAL/ ASSOCIATE DENTIST AT A PRIVATE DENTIST' CLINIC/ HOSPITAL-
This is the most common choice that most graduates make. Most often a graduate works as a dental associate for a period of 2-6 months under an experienced private practitioner.
- BDS fresher’s must realize that if you get to do observership with a good clinic, where you get to see and learn a lot, then that is a boon in itself.
- After gaining 2 or more years of experience in private practice you can start a clinic of your own.
- This period of time the pay will be often “nil” or nominal.
2) LECTURER/ TUTOR-
One of the other options is joining any accredited dental college as a lecturer or tutor.
- This job is one of the most preferred options since it offers lucrative perks, limited job timings, job satisfaction and less stress job.
- A BDS graduate can become a lecturer but the pay will be minimal.
- To become a senior lecturer you have to be an MDS graduate. The pay for a senior lecturer depends hugely on the management of the college you are associated with.
3) MASTER'S DEGREE IN INDIA-
- The minimum qualification to pursue MDS (Master of Dental Surgery) is BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery). Aspirants must have obtained BDS degree from an institution recognized by Dental Council of India (DCI).
- In India MDS/ Post Graduation in Dentistry can be done in both Govt & Private Colleges.
- As per the latest ruling by Supreme court that NEET (Single exam for Admission health sciences UG/PG Seats) is the official & the only way to get into dental colleges.
- It is a three year course.
- Some specialisation in MDS includes-
- Prosthodontics, Crown& bridge
- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedies
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral Pathology & Microbilogy
- Paedodontics & Preventive Dentistry
- Oral Medicine & Radiology
- Public health Dentistry
- Being a specialist you ll have better knowledge and experience about the work you ll be doing right.
- Secondly, due to advancement, people are moving towards superspeciality and just not a simple BDS holder will get a job easily.
- Having mastery over a specialisation, you'll have better job opportunities than that or a plane BDS.
- Limited number of seats.
- MDS from a private college can cost a great deal of money.
4) POST GRADUATION ABROAD-
- BDS degree from India is recognized in most of the countries including
- New zealand etc.
However, in almost all countries you need to qualify the exam conducted by the medical council.
- There is great scope for Dentists in Australia and New Zealand but you need to register with Australian Dental council or NZ dental council to pursue any program in Dental in these countries.
- You can do Post graduation degree in Dental science from Russia with any registration examination (after completing BDS with any registration examination).
- But it no secret that masters in countries like Australia, Europe etc is a time & money consuming process. So if money is a issue, you can try a shot at Gulf contries/ Middle east. Though they do have their own entrance test (MOH) the visa procedures, fees and cost of living is less cmpared to other countries.
- Good job opportunities, Advance technologies
- Higher salaries scale.
- A govt job in middle east is a jackpot as they pay for your travel expenses, stay food nad miscellaneous expenses.
- Time consuming, length visa procedure.
- Have to give Entrance exams for that country
5) GOVERNMENT JOBS-
- Govt jobs are provided are of two types- permanent & contractual.
- Exams are conducted throughout India to hire doctors/dentists as a Government Employee.
- Opportunities in Government sectors includes-
- Army Dental Corp
- Territorial Officer in Indian Army
- Railways as a dentist
- Join Indian Navy or Indian Airforce as a dental officer(There are openings for the Dental officer posts on Contractual basis in the Indian Air Force and Navy)
- State government jobs as dental surgeon etc
- The Top-Notch Medical Institutes of India such as AIIMS offer openings for both BDS and MDS professionals. BDS Graduates can be recruited as Senior Residents.
- You can join the Forensic Department as a Forensic Odontologist and apply for Dental Surgeon jobs in the Agricultural sector.
- You can also apply for job openings in Industries under the Government Sector which manufacture oral care products and medicines.
This is certainly one of the most preferred jobs since it offers a highly lucrative salary, job security and above all is a low-pressure job. Further, it offers great promotional avenues.
- High competition
- Limited vacancies.
To know about govt job, keep a check on job portal sites.
You can join fb pages to have a track on that and also you can check with newspaper/ pamphlet on government job.
6) OPPORTUNITIES ABROAD
-After 2-3 years of experience as a general dentist one can apply for the post of a dentist abroad.
-It is mandatory to fulfil the eligibility criteria and clear the Dental Board or Ministry of Health examinations of the concerned state before one gets the license to practice.
- To work as a licensed dental professional in-
United States- You must be approved by the state board of dentistry or examiners for licensure in the state in which you wish to practice.
Dubai- You need to successfully qualify the Dubai Health Authority(DHA) licesning exam/ Assessment.
Australia- Register with Australian Dental council
New Zealand- Register with NZ dental council.
- You can also pratice in India after completing your master's degree from abroad ( as you have done BDS from India, so you're already registered in India as Dentist)
Click here-> To learn about cost of living in abroad.
Before deciding on any career option it would be sensible to known yourself first, understand your strengths, weakness, like, dislikes talk to a career guidance coach or take an assessment test. A career counselor or a assessment test would be of a great help, as we at Allegiance Educare, will help in finding not only the right specialisation but a job title which is perfect fit according to your aptitude, personality and interest.
7) JOINING DENTAL COLLEGE (your own or other) AS A STAFF OR FACULTY
- Their are mostly hospitals joining associated with dental colleges, so working a staff witha dental colleges would be could be great learning experience for aspiring dentist.
- But you should keep in mind if you are a BDS graduate don't expect high salary consider this as only a learning experience.
-Graduates can join a research institute or undergo a Masters programme in Public Health for better opportunities as a researcher.
-Post MDS also research can be pursued based on one’s keenness.
9) Hospital Management
Masters in hospital administration is very much in demand now and this degree can help you get into the hospital management area.