WHO IS A CONSERVATION OFFICER?
- Conservation officers are also sometimes called wildlife or natural resource officers.
- They are law enforcement agents who uphold laws and regulations relating to wildlife and the natural environment.
- These officers enforce laws related to hunting and fishing and provide public safety for state parks, trail systems, and other protected areas.
- Since conservation officers are also law enforcement officers, they must be aware of natural resource, constitutional, and general criminal laws.
- They may work for state or federal governments, as well as natural resource organizations.
Major responsibilities of conservation officers include:
- Patrolling the assigned conservation areas and forests
- Giving education on conservation issues
- Providing training courses on hunter safety
- Enforcing conservation/ wildlife laws
- Checking licenses for hunting and similar activities
- Implementing hunting limits
- Carrying out general law enforcement activities
- Preparing reports
- Testifying in courtrooms
- Making arrests
WHAT QUALITIES ARE REQUIRED?
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
THINK YOU POSSES THE ABOVE QUALITIES?
There are a number of employers in different sectors of industry that require the specific skill set and knowledge of conservation officers. Conservation officers can get jobs under following job titles-
- Conservation officer
- Wildlife Officer
- Wildlife Enforcement Officer
- Natural Resources Officer
- Fish and Game Warden
- Environmental Police Officer
Following are the different types of employers that hire conservation officers:
- Conservation groups
- Consulting companies
- Regulatory Bodies
- Companies that produce products from natural resources
- Utility companies
- All levels of government departments and agencies
- Oil, gas and mining companies
- Educational institutions
- Self-employment as consultants.