Fisheries officers monitor, manage and protect farmed and wild fish stocks and the rivers, lakes and other habitats where they live.
- Fishery officers primarily act as consultants to fisheries and fish farms; offering them advice and guidance on how best to manage their fish stocks and fisheries in accordance with environmental regulations.
- Graduates in this feild may also work towards implementing relevant schemes to promote fishing as recreation and a profession among people.
- Checking illegal fishing activities and making sure that people who are fishing have the valid licence to do so.
- Ensuring across ponds, patrol rivers, and lakes that people have the valid documentation for fishing. In case of absence of such documentation, such fishery officers are often given the power to make arrests or administer fines to the angling culprits.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO BE A FISHERIES OFFICER
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
During the last six decades the sector has been strengthened with the much needed technical manpower and competent extension personnel with effective transfer of technology.
Research and Development has helped the sector in addressing productive issues level and the availability of critical inputs for culture like fish seed, high productive breed and medicine by involving Aquaculturist, farm managers, exporters, traders, breeders and modern fishermen.
Being highly remunerative sector it has been considered as a major source of employment generation and career avenues in various branches of fisheries and aquatic sciences.
For Ph.D.in aquaculture and fisheriesStudents can choose programmes that fit with their research interests in subject areas viz. fish nutrition, water quality, aquaculture engineering, fish genetics, hatchery production and fish pathology.
Course overview: Includes study of oceanography, ecology, biology, economics and management in the functioning of fisheries.
National/ State Fishery Institutes:
1. Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Versova, Mumbai
2. Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Chennai
3. National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow
4. Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training, Kochi
5. Tamilnadu Fisheries University, Nagapattinam, TN
6. Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur,
7. Andhra University, Telibagh, Waltair, A.P
Fisheries Colleges under State Agricultural/ Veterinary Universities:
1. College of Fisheries, Shirgaon, Ratnagiri
2. College of Fishery Science, Telangkhedi, Nagpur
3. College of Fisheries, Mangalore, Karnataka
4. College of Fisheries Science, Pantnagar
5. Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana
6. Institute of Fisheries Technology, Thiruvallur, Chennai
7. College of Fisheries Science, Kulia, WB
8. College of Fisheries, Veraval, Gujarat
-The government and state governments have positions like Assistant Fisheries Development Officers (AFDO) and Fisheries Extension Officers (FEO), amongst others.
-Careers are also possible with Marine Product Export Development Authority (MPEDA), Fisheries Survey of India (FSI), NIO, WHO, FAO, NACA, NABARD, EIA.-
-Banks recruit domain experts in loan disbursement departments.
-Candidates can work as managers or officers in seafood processing and export units, aqua feed plants, fishing gear industries and in pharmaceutical companies in the private sector.
- Apart from scope for higher education in fisheries in countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, Japan, China and European countries, there are demands for fisheries professionals in the aquaculture and processing sectors in Gulf and African countries also. There are number of fisheries graduates doing business in foreign countries in field of aquaculture, export & import.
Fisheries Extension Officer
Fish Farming Consultant
Fisheries Development Officer
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, colleges, jobs, etc.