WHO IS AN HYDROLOGIST?
Hydrologist are the one who studies- how water moves across and through the Earth's crust.
They study how rain, snow, and other forms of precipitation impact river flows or groundwater levels, and how surface water and groundwater evaporate back into the atmosphere or eventually reach the oceans.
They basically analyze how water influences the surrounding environment and how changes to the environment influence the quality and quantity of water.
They use their expertise to solve problems concerning water quality and availability.
JOB DUTIES OF A HYDROLOGIST-
- Collect water and soil samples to test for certain properties, such as the pH or pollution levels
- Analyze about the environmental impacts of pollution, erosion, drought, and other problems
- Research ways to minimize the negative impacts of erosion, sedimentation, or pollution on the environment
- Use computer models to forecast future water supplies, the spread of pollution, floods, and other events
- Evaluate the feasibility of water-related projects, such as hydroelectric power plants, irrigation systems, and wastewater treatment facilities
- Prepare written reports and presentations of their findings
WHAT QUALITIES ARE REQUIRED?
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
THINK YOU POSSES THE ABOVE QUALITIES?
SPECIALIZATIONS IN M.Tech./P.G. Diploma
A candidate can opt for pursuing his M.Tech./P.G. Diploma studies through any of the following three specializations offered by the Department:
- Surface Water Hydrology
- Ground Water Hydrology
- Watershed Management
Institutions in India That Offer These Courses:-
· Andhra University - Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
· Anna University - Chennai, Tamil Nadu
· College of Science & Technology - Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
· H.D. College of Education, Jhajjar
· Indian Institute of Technology - Guwahati, Assam
· Indian Institute of Technology - Roorkee, Uttaranchal
· P.V.P. Polytechnic, Bangalore
· Patna University - Patan, Gujarat
· Radhakrishna Education Trusts Dr. B.R. Ambedkar B.P.Ed College
· Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women - Pune, Maharashtra
· Veer Narmad South Gujarat University - Surat, Gujarat
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES & RENUMERATION FOR HYDROLOGIST
- There are numerous career opportunities available for hydrologists within our country.
- Job opportunities are also available for them abroad.
- Numerous research institutions in addition to oil and gas industries take in students of hydrology.
- Those who have a master’s degree in the subject will get much better career opportunities.
- One other job option available for hydrologists is to work in the fields of education. Those who have a NET or PhD can get employed as Lecturers or Assistant professors with institutions that teach hydrology and geosciences. The remuneration of this field is high too.
- Postgraduates of this field will get a salary of around Rs. 14, 000/- to Rs. 18, 000/- each month. Because of the vast career opportunities that are available for students of hydrology, this field is definitely worth considering.