Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest and oldest branches of engineering. Mechanical engineers are involved with the design, analysis, testing, manufacturing, control, operation, and maintenance of mechanical systems - that is, any system that has a moving part.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER JOB DESCRIPTION
Some of the most common job functions of a mechanical engineer are:
Designing products ranging from biomedical devices to internal combustion engines to fuel-efficient motor vehicles, motors and appliances.
Research and Development:
Researching new ideas and solutions that satisfy society’s demands or improving or expanding older ideas and solutions.
Designing and building the machines that mass produce consumer products. Of prime importance is designing and building machines that improve operating efficiency.
Managing the operations of a large system, such as a manufacturing facility or a power plant.
Planning how energy is created, stored and moved in industries that produce and deliver electrical power, such as natural gas, oil and alternative energy.
In most of these areas, the mechanical engineer’s goal is to harness or create energy in machines such as boilers, air conditioners and refrigeration equipment. Product design is about designing and manufacturing tangible products, such as engines, personal computers and dishwashers.
Mechanical engineers must be comfortable making decisions. They decide the size, material and shape of every part of a machine or mechanical device. Some decisions are critical to human life, such as those concerning the safety features of an industrial machine or a consumer product.
WHAT QUALITIES ARE REQUIRED?
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
Strong sense of responsibility
SCOPE OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
- Mechanical Engineering covers aspects like design and testing among others. The job demands supervision and planning of live projects related to thermal power plants, nuclear stations, generation of electricity, etc.
- There are employment opportunities for diploma holders who have practical knowledge of working on fields like testing of machinery etc.
- The emerging fields in this area include renewable energy, automobiles, quality control, Industrial Automation, Mechanobiology. These are going to increase manpower in the work profile of mechanical engineering and would offer employment opportunities.
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING COURSES
|Joint Entrance Examination Advanced (JEE Advanced)||May/June||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,|
|National Engineering Aptitute Test (NEAT/NAT)||June||Mathematics/Biology Physics, Chemistry,|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission (BITSAT)||May||Mathematics/Biology Physics, Chemistry, Logical Reasoning English|
|Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE)||April||Mathematics/Biology Physics, Chemistry, English|
|University of Delhi Combined Entrance Exam (DU-CET)||June||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,|
|Consortium Medical, Engineering & Dental Colleges of Karnataka (COMEDK)||May||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,|
|SRM University Engineering Exam (SRMUEE)||April||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology|
|Manipal University Online Entrance Exam (MU-OEE)||March/April||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology|
|Indraprastha University Common EntranceTest (IPUCET)||May||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,|
|Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMUCET)||June||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry,|
|Indian Institute of Technology||
|Birla Institute of Technology||Pilani, Mesra|
|National Institute of Technology, Calicut||Calicut|
|National Institute of Technology, Silchar||Silchar|
|National Institute of Technology, Surathkal||Surathkal|
|National Institute of Technology, Bhopal||Bhopal|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||Chennai|
|Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad||Dhanbad|
|Sri Ramaswamy Memorial University (SRM)||Multiple Locations|
|Pandit Deen Dayal Petroleum University||Gandhinagar|
|International Institute of Information Technology||Hyderabad|
|Maharashtra Institute of Technology||Pune|
|Madras Institute of Technology||Chennai|
JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERS
As a mechanical engineer you can find job opportunities in following sectors:-
-Defence manufacturing (49%)
-Oil and Gas
-Ports and Shipping
-Roads and Highways
1. Hindustan Motors Ltd
2. Hyundai Motors India Ltd
3. Mahindra & Mahindra
4. Royal Enfield Ltd
5. Addison & Co Ltd
6. Ashok Leyland Ltd
7. Axles India Ltd
8. TATA Motors
9. Sundaram-Clayton Ltd
10. Tractor and Farm Equipment (TAFE)
11. Tube Investments of India Ltd
13. Bharat Electronics Ltd.(BEL)
14. Jindal Steel
15. Steel Authority of India Limited(SAIL)
- Salary structure for a mechanical engineer The typical salary range for a mechanical engineer fresher is between INR 10,000/- to INR 25,000/-
- The salary differs as per the industry and the level of the company, Some salary packages often vary based on your skills, experience, expertise and the nature of roles and responsibilities you handle.
- Skilled professionals can take away a high salary as INR 40,000-45,000 per month.
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, college, jobs etc.