WHO IS AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST?
Ophthalmologists are medical professionals who specialize in the diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and management of medical conditions affecting the eye and visual pathways.
Ophthalmology field requires a lot of skills owing to the diversity of the specialty. This field needed surgical, medical and patient care skills range from paediatric to geriatric population.
- Conduct routine eye exams, retinal screening and diagnose systemic eye diseases caused by medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, malignancy, etc.
- Treat all medical and surgical conditions of the eye
- Diagnose and treat infections, cataract, ocular inflammation, etc.
- Treat injuries in and around the eyes
- Use a range of medical equipment such as lasers, ophthalmoscopes, microscope, retinoscopy etc. to diagnose and treat ophthalmic problems
- Perform procedures such as laser therapy, intraocular, periocular and Botox injections
- Prescribe eye glasses, contact lens and medications to treat eye ailments
- Conduct research and teach in medical institutions
WHAT QUALITIES ARE REQUIRED?
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
Though course content may vary from one format to another, the core subjects remain the same. Let us take a look at some of the important subjects-
- Ocular Anatomy
- Ocular Physiology
- Visual Optics
- Ocular Diseases and Conditions
- Dispensing Optics
- Optometry Instruments
- Contact Lenses
- Community Optometry
- Hospital Training
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Amrita School of Medicine, Coimbatore
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- D.Y.Patil Medical College, Navi Mumbai
- Indraprastha University
- Bharati Vidyapeeth
JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST:
As an Ophthamologist you can work at-
- Private clinics
- Multi-specialist Hospitals
- Private Hospitals
- ECHS Hospitals
- Charity Hospitals
- Armed Forces Hospitals
- Railway Hospitals
- Government Hospitals
- One can also join defence services - in army, air force or navy as an ophthalmologist.
Candidates can apply for the Combined Medical Service entrance examination (CMSEE) conducted by the U.P.S.C (Union Public Commission Service) for the position of an ophthalmologist or senior specialist of Ophthalmology.
The state health service entrance examinations are conducted by the respective state, provincial services commissions also. You can join defense services – in the army, air force or navy as an ophthalmologist.
- In government and private hospitals, ophthalmologists can earn anywhere between Rs.20, 000 – Rs.30,000 per month excluding other perks and benefits.
- Apart from salaried jobs, one can start his/her own private clinic where the earnings are likely to be more.
-From a private practice, an ophthalmologist can earn Rs.2,000 – Rs.5, 000 per day depending upon his/her skills and popularity.
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, college, jobs etc.