In a professional photography studio, the photographer takes beautiful pictures of families, models and pets. To better do this job, he needs an assistant. The studio assistant aids, the photographer with administrative duties and with the clients.
Employment Opportunities for Studio Assistant :
Inside the studio, the studio assistant is a vital part of keeping everything in order
He takes care of many things. The assistant greets the customers and sets appointments for photo sessions.
He also performs administrative works like managing paperwork and keeping inventories of materials, like film, albums and other photographic materials
He or she also talks with the clients and tries to recommend the best deal
Another duty is preparing the lighting and background and setting a certain mood to the photographer's work place
After the session ends, the studio assistant stocks them and organizes the studio for the next session
Another important responsibility is assisting the photographer with the film development and the prints. Other tasks can be performed as assigned.
When children are involved in photo sessions, the studio assistant usually helps up with the poses and keeps them entertained.
He or she is also in charge with the compliance of all studio procedures, laws and standards by the clients and other staff members.
Personal and technical skills needed
One of the needed requirements for a studio assistant is the acquaintance with all the photographic equipment in the studio
Have to operate digital processing tools and printers along classic film processing machinery
Should know to use the computer, mainly photography handing software and applications
Because they are in touch with new people every day, the studio assistants have to possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, having a polite and knowledgeable language.
He or she should have some managerial abilities, so the studio will always be organized and ready for work.
Assistant have also the duty of organizing records and files for the studio.
Great interest in photography technology is a plus for the ones really wanting to make a career in this field.
How to become Studio Assistant?
Art studio assistants are often fresh out of art school or may still be in art school. Working for an established artist helps the studio assistant to see how professional artists work with galleries and museums and how to keep producing new work. Going to art school is not a requirement to become a studio assistant. However, it is one of the best ways to make connections with both aspiring and established artists, and eventually leading to a job with an artist.
To become a studio assistant in India, you can follow the steps outlined below:
1. Gain Knowledge: You will need to have a basic understanding of the studio environment, its equipment, and its procedures. You can gain this knowledge by attending training courses or by working in a studio as an intern.
2. Acquire Technical Skills: You should have basic technical skills such as setting up equipment, troubleshooting problems, and operating studio equipment. You can acquire these skills by working in a studio or by attending technical training courses.
3. Develop Organizational Skills: As a studio assistant, you will be responsible for scheduling and coordinating studio bookings, equipment rentals, and other studio-related activities. You should have excellent organizational and time-management skills to handle these responsibilities.
4. Build Communication Skills: You should have excellent communication skills to interact with clients, team members, and other stakeholders. You should be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
5. Learn Software Programs: You should have knowledge of various software programs, such as audio editing and production software, photo editing software, and video editing software.
6. Build a Network: Building a network of professionals in the industry can help you stay updated with the latest trends and developments. You can attend conferences, join professional associations, and participate in online forums and groups.
7. Look for Job Positions: You can look for job positions at recording studios, TV stations, film studios, or advertising agencies. You can also consider working as a freelance studio assistant or starting your own studio.
In summary, to become a studio assistant in India, you need to gain knowledge of the studio environment, acquire technical skills, develop organizational and communication skills, learn software programs, build a network of professionals in the industry, and look for job positions at recording studios, TV stations, film studios, or advertising agencies.
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, college, jobs etc.