Singapore is a sovereign republic of remarkable distinction in the quality of any Endeavour. Education is no exception. There are fine systems that are followed with precision. Justice and fair play are of prime concern in every organization. The country is small. Its area is below 700 sq km, and the area population below five million.
Singapore is popular destination for education. It is It is refreshingly different from other often said that Singapore happily merges the best of East and West - a significant finance, business, and that maintains discipline education hub. A country that maintains discipline and promotes excellence in every segment of its activities. Though the country is multicultural and multilingual in structure, English language is widely used. You never feel lost either in your educational institution or outside.
Secondary schools in Singapore may be government funded, aided, or independent. Students attend four or five years of secondary education under the Special, Express, or Normal Course. The Special and Express Courses prepare students for the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education ‘Ordinary' (GCE ‘O’) Level examination in four years.
Students in the Normal Course can opt for the Academic Technical stream, both of which prepare students for the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education ‘Normal' (GCE ‘N’) Level examination after four years of study and, upon satisfactory completion, the GCE ‘O’ examination in the fifth year.
There are 5 polytechnics offer courses such as Engineering, Business Studies, Mass Communication, Design and Info-Communications, Optometry, Marine Engineering, Nautical Studies, Nursing, Early Childhood Education and Film Making.
There are 3 local universities : NUS (National University of Singapore), NTU (Nanyang Technological University, SMU (Singapore Management University).
Rest of the Universities are Foreign Universities.
There are 2 private arts institutions receiving public funds. They provide post-secondary education in the arts.
1) Lasalle College of Arts
2) Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts
International students can join exchange programs in Singapore's public universities - NUS, NTU and SMU. 3 types of exchange are :
1) Course Work
2) Research Project
3) Work Experience Program
Tuition Fee :
For government and government aided schools, fees per month are :
S$ 120 for primary schools
S$ 170 for secondary schools
S$ 280 for pre-university education
International students of primary and secondary schools, junior colleges and centralised institutes have to make donation of S$ 1000 once evry 2 yrs.
Fees payable by Foreign Students after availing government grant :
- Non lab based (Accountancy, Arts & Social Sciences, Business, Law and Mass Communication) : S$ 20,420 - S$ 21,950 (tuition fees per year) ; S$ 13,700 (MOE Tuition Grant) ; S$ 6,720 - S$ 8,250 (Direct Payment Tuition Fee Payable)
- lab based (Architecture, Building, & Real Estate, Industrial Design, Computing, Engineering, Pharmacy and Science): S$ 22,420 (tuition fees per year) ; S$ 15,700 (MOE Tuition Grant) ; S$ 6,720 (Direct Payment Tuition Fee Payable)
- Dentistry - Medicine : S$ 83,870 (tuition fees per year) ; S$ 64,600 (MOE Tuition Grant) ; S$ 19,270 (Direct Payment Tuition Fee Payable)
- Music : S$ 40,330 (tuition fees per year) ; S$ 32,000 (MOE Tuition Grant) ; S$ 8,330 (Direct Payment Tuition Fee Payable)
- Polytechnics : S$ 12,652.50 (tuition fees per year) ; S$ 10,342.50 (MOE Tuition Grant) ; S$ 2,310 (Direct Payment Tuition Fee Payable)
After getting acceptance from School or University, the letter of acceptance is valid for 2 weeks, during which time, you must apply for a Student's Pass with the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority and revert to the school or University with your Student;s Pass confirmation.
For admission to primary (1 to 5 levels) and secondary (1 to 3 levels), there is the AEIS (Admission Exercise for International Students) held by the Ministry of Education.
Bursaries are also available in Singapore. You may apply for bursaries to meet the tuition fees and other expenses. The amount would be below S$1500 per academic year.
SIA Youth Scholarship, awarded exclusively to Indian Students after Std 10 with good academic records. The scholarship terms cover the followig :
- Allowance of S$2400 per annum with hostel accomodation
- Hostel accomodation provided
- Settling in allowance of S$500 (once only)
- Economy class air passage to Singapore and back to home country upon completion of course
- Waiver of school fees (excluding miscellaneous fees)
- Waiver of GCE 'A' Level examination fees (once only)
- Subsided medical benefits and accident insurance cover
- Selected SIA Youth Scholars attend the top Junior Colleges in Singapore pursuing courses in the Arts or Sciences.
For accomodation there is a Government publication, called the Student Accomodation Handbook, detailing the various options, which can be assessed on the website Your needs may be anything from S$750 to 2000 a month, depending on your lifestyle.